Nothing makes me feel guiltier than starting my day off with an overflow of carbs and syrup ...
... yet on the other side of things, nothing makes me feel better in the morning than indulging in an overflow of carbs and syrup. It's a vicious cycle.
I have to find some sort of compromise. I am not going to top my pancakes with any type of fruit (something I consider to be pure blasphemy), so that only leaves me one option: to revise the actual pancake recipe. Since my husband won't eat anything white, I decided to take a shot and make some whole wheat pancakes. I've played with a few different variations, but this is it.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Stir together all the dry ingredients
- Add the oil, milk and beaten eggs
- Whisk until all ingredients are mixed
- Cook on a pan or a preheated griddle until the side facing up starts to produce bubbles, then flip and let the other side cook
- Top with butter, syrup or ... fruit (she adds begrudgingly)
Love and syrup,