First off, please, please forgive me for the sin that is these photos. I am not proud of them.
This dish was spontaneous. It reminds me a bit of the movie "Serendipity." Great movie. A real tear jerker. And the beauty of the story is that their romantic future was all left up to chance. There was no effort required; it just happened.
And the result was a beautiful love story.
My beautiful love story with these BBQ chicken baked potatoes goes as follows: I made too much BBQ chicken in the crock pot and didn't buy enough buns. I made baked potatoes and had a few left over. I also had some cheese, as any good love story does. I also had a husband asking me the most dreaded question of the evening: "What am I having for lunch tomorrow?"
Seriously? I just finished planning what you were eating for dinner today. But you've gotta' roll with it.
It's so simple:
- 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Shredded cheddar cheese (about 1/3 cup)
- Olive oil
- Tin foil
- 2 crock pots
For the chicken:
- Throw the chicken, barbecue sauce, brown sugar and garlic salt in the crock pot. Let it sit on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred thoroughly and let it sit in its juices in the crock pot for another 10 minutes. This really does make a difference.
For the potatoes:
- Poke potatoes with a fork several times each.
- Lightly brush with olive oil
- Wrap in tin foil
- Place in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours
- You can also microwave these (sans tin foil) if you're in a rush or don't have 2 crock pots.
- Cut baked potato in half and top with butter (optional) and shredded cheese.
- Top with shredded barbecue chicken.
- Add salt and pepper
That's it! This took a total of 10 minutes to assemble (not counting crock pot cook time). They say you never forget your first love...
Love and serendipity,