It can be used on any cake and on other desserts — such as cupcakes — and to create special characters to put on cakes (think of all the little people the Cake Boss makes to put on cakes). It's sold in the cake decorating aisle in grocery stores, but generally tastes pretty awful. That's why I make my own whenever I am in a situation where I need to use it.
So here it is! The first time I made it was a nightmare, but after a few revisions and trials, I found what is probably the easiest recipe there is to make it.
- 5 cups of mini marshmallows
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- Place the marshmallows and water in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. The marshmallows will get puffy and expand.
- Fold the marshmallows with a rubber spatula until it's well-combined and smooth. If it's not completely melted, microwave for another 30 seconds and stir again.
- Add the powdered sugar and stir until it's completely stiff.
- Generously powder your hands and a dry surface. This will be sticky! Knead the fondant until it loses its stickiness and is smooth.
- Shape it into a ball.