Diet or no diet, some days a girl just needs mashed potatoes.
Our boot camp coach has instructed us to ban white potatoes from our kitchen and to embrace red potatoes. So, I did some googling and came across this fantastic recipe for mashed red potatoes.
And let me tell you somethin'. These things are incredible.
Here we go!
- Red potatoes (one large per person)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic (just don't expect any kisses)
- 1 cup skim or low fat milk
- 3/4 cup low (or non) fat sour cream.
- Throw the potatoes in a pot of water, making sure the water covers them.
- Grab the cloves of garlic, peel them (but don't mince them).
- Throw them whole into the pot of boiling water with the potatoes. To be honest, I thought this was pretty genius. I had never thought of doing this instead of mincing it. Duh. Everything is better with salt. Can I get an "amen?"
- They need to sit in the boiling water until they're really soft. For me, it was about 30 minutes. But I'm a patient person when it comes to my potatoes. Nothing else, though. This is the time you get to go take a bath and dream about fluffy, semi-healthy potatoes. And you can throw in your fantasies about being rich and famous. They're one in the same.
- After the potatoes are nice and soft drain 'em, then use your masher, as I affectionately call it, and smash those babies up.
- Go ahead and transfer them to a mixing bowl, and don't worry about getting all the huge lumps out. That's why God created mixers.
- Go ahead and throw in the milk and sour cream. Now, I put in one cup of the milk and 3/4 cup of the sour cream, but it may be more or less according to your taste. You might like it lumpier or smoother. Just use your better judgment.
- Use your mixer/blender/husband and blend all the ingredients.
- Now, take a spoonful. Go ahead. No one's looking.
- Throw in the chives, salt and pepper to taste, and you're good to go!
What's great about this recipe is it really is healthier than normal mashed potatoes. It has no butter, low fat (or non-fat) milk, low fat (or non-fat) sour cream, and red potatoes. So enjoy your guilt free comfort food!
We all need a little pickup on Tuesdays. Am I right or am I right?
Love and livin' a little,
P.S. Don't forget to send an e-mail to email@example.com to enter into my beauty samples/coupon giveaway! We already have a ton of entries and I want you to take a shot, too! Check out the details at Meet The Wadsworths.