You can choose whether you want to bake standard-sized cupcakes or minis. I went with minis. They're just so darn cute.
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) plain German chocolate cake mix
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream (trust me on this one)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 3 large eggs
- Mix all ingredients together. Fill individual cupcake liners and bake as the box mix instructs.
- I recently discovered that the longer you mix a cake mix (or anything similar), the fluffier it will be because of something to do with oxygen. Don't ask me — I can barely do cupcakes, and I definitely don't do science.
- Fill 3/4 way full to get a full, fluffy top.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red velvet cocoa powder
- Mix ingredients and put on cupcakes when cooled. Top with red velvet cocoa powder or sprinkles.
- I am so uncoordinated it's ridiculous. I love baking cupcakes, but when I try to decorate them, it's way out of my league. I found this Wilton Dessert Decorator at Walmart, and it has literally changed the way I decorate desserts. It comes with numerous different decorating tips for all types of designs, and it cuts my decorating time in half. Just sayin'.
Get ready to be the most popular child/parent/employee/friend once you make these. This recipe has helped me save a job or two, but we won't get into that now.