A very wise woman (who had 7 children) once told me, "Rachael, when cooking, always include potatoes, pasta or bread-the three cheapest and most filling ingredients you can buy." I took that to heart, and by golly, she was right.
Since it's officially fall, and because it's starting to actually feel like it,
- lb. thick-sliced bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 pack Ranch packet
- 1 stick butter
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 cups peeled and diced russet potatoes (2 lb.)
- 1 Tbsp. ground mustard
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Place potatoes, onion, garlic and chicken broth in the crock pot on low for 8 hours
- After the 8 hours is up, transfer the entire potato/broth mixture into a large bowl or dutch oven.
- Mash potatoes, leaving a few chunks.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, keeping heat on low.
- Once everything is mixed together, move heat up to medium, stirring continually until heated thoroughly.
Serve with fresh bread. And a Diet Coke. Always serve everything with a Diet Coke.
Love and potaters,