Well, not anymore. Now that I'm an adult, I get to choose what goes in my oatmeal. So let's forget the nutritional value, fiber and whole oats that we'll be putting into our bodies. Let's have some fun, shall we?
- 2 cups oats
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp raisins (optional)
- Boil the oats and milk. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for around 10 minutes.
- The consistency of your oatmeal is completely up to you. You can add more or less depending on how thick you want it. I would add small amounts of milk at a time until it's the consistency that you prefer. This is just how much milk I like.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Allow it to thicken a little while.
- Add maple syrup, brown sugar and honey. Stir gently over low heat.
- Top with raisins or other dried fruit.
- Fruit (frozen fruit makes it extra tasty)
- Sliced apples
- Banana slices
- Don't freak out when you read this, but...butter pecan ice cream. Just sayin'.
- Believe it! Add some cocoa mix, stir well, and top with chocolate chips. Even the healthiest of breakfasts can turn into a monstrosity.
- Pumpkin pie spice
- A small scoop of your favorite cereal
- Fruity pebbles are a great choice
Love and changing-tastes,